Thursday, April 24, 2008

My Journey Begins With the Fro



Okay, Here I am with the fro 7 months ago that I never wore out in public. Don't ask me why not. Now that I look back at these pics, I wished I had rocked it, but I didn't. I was a slave to braid extensions, and other "help" as I called it. My mind was locked up in the hair department, but my hair wasn't. Thank GOD I'm finally free!

I started my journey with about 4-5 inches of natural hair. I went natural the first time in 2000 when I found a bald spot in my head that I attribute to stress. I new then that relaxers were not my friend. I never wore my natural hair out though. No twist, fros, braidouts, twistouts, nothing! Odd right? I always wore a press and curl or braids or other "help". Then in 2005, I permed again. The chemicals again were too much and I cut it all off after that one relaxer. Back to the braids until I grew it out to what you see in these pics.

On this very day I began my lock journey.

2 comments:

dee said...

Hi Hannah,

Just doing a google search brought me to you. I have been having hair difficulty for about 10 yrs. I wore weaves near the weak spot, the crown of my head. Then I went to braids. Then I decided to cut my hair and went back to chemicals. Then I decided not to do chemicals and I've been wearing it natural for about 4 yrs now. I still have the thin area, in some areas slick/bald. But I wear it well I am told. I have been contemplating locs, sister locs, etc. Wondered if extension locs would work? Looking at your style I love it. It is conservative and business like. Your look is something I would wear. Tell me what you think.

Diane
Oklahoma

Hannah Ranay's said...

I initially wanted to do extentions, but decided against it for authenticity sake and to be able to truly own my experience. I've adopted the motto to "Work what you got".